Tuesday, October 7, 2014

"I'm gonna punch you in the face!" and other fun activities

I love spending my day being threatened. It just melts my heart!

Recently, we've spent our days learning about adjectives. Now, for a typical teacher this is no big deal. A day or two and your students have got the concept and are blissfully adding more and more descriptive words to their sentences. It's second nature to them. And just in time for October's pumpkin activities! It couldn't match up any better!

HA! I wish it were that simple. Now, admittedly, I've been teaching this concept to third graders (this is a much lower level skill) so it was easier than if I had attempted to teach it to my second grader (who functions on a Kindergarten level). All in all, it only took about a week and I was pleasantly surprised with how quick they picked up the concept!

We made an anchor chart with numerous choices for adjectives first:


And after practicing for a few days. And being  reminded that we can't use "old" or "cute" for EVERY. SINGLE. SENTENCE. they finally picked up on it! :) We did the word "monkey" together for a reference and then they picked the other three words they wanted to describe. I only helped with spelling! :D
Now, we have to work on remembering to add adjectives to our sentences. They can do it with reminders, but, let's face it, I'm not always going to be there to hold their hand while they write...although the way things are going, I may be their teacher straight through high school. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment