Saturday, August 8, 2015

#SpedChatSaturday Communication

Since today is Saturday that means it's time for another Sped Chat Saturday post. I really look forward to these link-ups because these topics are what matter most to me. This is what I do. :) Thanks for Kelly at A View Into My Classroom for hosting this great topic!

So anyway- this week's topic is about Communication with General Education Teachers. So let's get down to it!



In my district we are not required to find our own mainstream teachers for our students. Thankfully. But that sometimes backfires too. Some teachers have been more than willing to take on our students year after year so we know that we can always count on them. But then there are some years where there've been so many changes that the grade level you need a teacher on is completely different and none of them have ever had or students nor do we want them to have our students (I know- it sounds terrible, but we all know that there are some teachers that we know won't work out well). We don't have much say in who gets our students- so it's a toss up.






Once teachers are notified that they'll be receiving extra students (always a great conversation) for the year, I make sure to stop by their room and fill them in on the particulars of working with a deaf student. If it's a teacher that has had our students in the past and knows the routine, I'll typically send out a short email informing them of their student(s)' names and what they're being mainstreamed for (usually it's math, science, and social studies or a combination of those 3). All of our students are "mainstreamed" for specials so that doesn't count. Those veteran teachers know the deal. Typically throughout the year we communicate through email or short meetings if necessary. They are required to attend the IEP meeting and any parent/teacher conferences are attended by all of us.







This is the nightmare. There was a year that we (the SLP, other DHH teacher, and myself) spent a combined 25 hours of preplanning week creating a schedule. And it wasn't even a great schedule. And then it changed 3 more times in less than a week. Serious nightmare! Luckily, the past few years have been slightly better than that. :)

Anyway, when I first started working I had an amazing assistant principal who basically gave us the time slots we wanted for lunch and specials before creating the schedules for the rest of the school. And we had only a few mainstream kids usually in 1 grade so scheduling was relatively easy. Then she retired. And now we have an AP that doesn't really care and throws us in wherever there's an available slot. It's usually not pretty. And now we have to work around other teachers' schedules instead of them fitting us in. It's really not pretty. By far, it's the worst part of preplanning. But in the end it somehow works out to at least a decent schedule. One that's tolerable. Usually. :)




Before the school year starts I make sure every teacher that needs a copy of the student's IEP gets one. And any pertinent information, of course. Usually, our students are mainstreamed for more than 50% of the day which means they are actually placed on the mainstream teacher's roster. So most pertinent information gets to them before I get a chance. But- since I have these kids for usually 4 years, I sometimes know a lot more about them than an information sheet can provide. Strengths, weaknesses, motivators, etc. Those are things I provide to the teachers. But I really try to let them form their own opinions about the students when they finally meet. I will however tell them information about the parents (if they need an interpreter, who's the best one to get in touch with, will they show up for meetings, etc.)- I feel all of that is information that makes things a little easier for the mainstream teachers.

It's my responsibility to provide resource if a student is having trouble with a subject. So once the school year gets going, I try to send at least one email a week to see how things are going. I ask for grades and any social problems/concerns they may have. If the teacher lets me know that there is a problem I end up having to give up my reading/la time to tutor them. There literally is no other time. I have full day students that I have teach all subjects to and then the mainstream students as well. In order to ensure my own full day students are being taught I have to use my precious reading time to tutor. It sucks. There's no other word for it. In the past we've had GREAT interpreters (I'm looking at you, Michelle!) that have helped in the my room as well as the mainstream classroom. That really helped me! This year, I don't know who the interpreter is going to be, but I'm sure it won't be the same. But I do the best I can!

So, that's about it. That's everything I do to ensure my mainstream students have a great year. And the best part? There are 4th grade mainstream students but they're in the other D/HH room so-I have NO MAINSTREAM STUDENTS this year!! So I don't have to worry about it! :D YAY!!!

3 comments:

  1. Megan, our scheduling is done for us as well, basically we tell the district how many students we have that need to be mainstreamed and then they choose the teachers. ( I don't know how.) Of course SOMETIMES this great and other times......not so much. However, "insert happy dance" this will be my first year ever with NO mainstreamed kids too!!! Yippee!! Just one less thing...and a break from scheduling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What!?! I am SO jealous of both of you guys! NO mainstreaming would be awesome! One less thing to have to worry about in terms of scheduling and all that back and forth communication with the mainstream teacher?!? If only. =)

      That is why I loved summer school so much. I didn't have to follow a schedule some one else was dictating. I made my own that worked for my students. Sigh.

      Megan, your class sounds EXACTLY like mine in so many ways! We have the same issues and the same concerns. I have a new interpreter moving to my class and I am nervous about how that is going to go. And about the certain teachers that shouldn't mainstream with our kiddos. Amen to that. We just *know* which are not the best match.

      Well, good luck this school year! I am so thankful I found my specific #dhhtribe.

      Delete
    2. Yay #dhhtribe!! :) I know my scheduling will still be a nightmare due to having one speech teacher that works with both DHH classes and an autism class, family counseling (only 2x a week), an itinerant that comes in for ASL every morning (don't get me started), and OT (and she's only there on certain days)...logistical nightmare...

      Delete