Sunday, August 2, 2015

Bulletin Boards!


I'm linking up with Ashley of Schroeder Shenanigans in 2nd and Angie from Lucky Little Learners for their #2getherwearebetter link-up. This month's topic is BULLETIN BOARDS! Ahh! The dreaded (or in my case not-so-dreaded) bulletin board.

Most teachers hate them. And, to be honest, I don't particularly enjoy taking them down and putting them up, but- I mostly love them! I'm probably the only teacher in my school that refuses to do the same boring ("Poet-tree" or "Said is Dead" anyone?!) hallway bulletin boards year after year. Now, to be fair, I have the same students for up to 5 years in a row (that's special ed. for ya) so I basically CAN'T have the same bulletin board every year. But, even if I could, I wouldn't. Call me crazy, but it's kind of one the only times that we can really let loose and go a little crazy. Do something outside the box, off the pacing guides, dare I say it- FUN?!

Inside my classroom I only have 2 smallish bulletin boards and they're already allotted as a word wall and a work display board (as mandated). My classroom theme is monkeys so my word wall is titled, "Ape for Words" and my work board is titled, "Jazzy Work" (I have a kind of Mardi Gras theme going with this board including real masks and boas straight from New Orleans). Those boards stay the same year after year (though to be honest, I'm so sick of them. But the bank account tells me they have to keep plugging along).

For some background- I started this blog last school year around this time and I've tried to keep up with it. But I had some serious issues I was dealing within my class and couldn't really maintain it until around Dec/Jan. I'm hoping this year will be better. Also, I have to share the only bulletin board with another teacher so we alternated when it was time to change it. So, to make a long story short, I don't have many pictures of most of my bulletin boards. :( I do have some though. :) Oh yea, my bulletin board is painted blue (makes it easier than having to change the paper all the time) but it doesn't always color-coordinate. And I don't go back to school until August 17th, so I don't have my bulletin boards for this year up- yet...anyway, here ya go:

Thanks to Lori at Teaching With Love and Laughter for her fantastic FREEBIE for this bulletin board. In fact, the whole lesson came from her blog post, I just spruced up the display a little bit :)

Love that I was able to reuse the fence (Shh- it's in one of my cabinets so I have it for this year too, if necessary :D). This bulletin board was differentiated for my kiddos because they're all on vastly different levels. Some flowers have prefixes and suffixes, ways to make numbers, and some have color words. The kites have ten frames with teen numbers. Then I printed some clipart from Krista Wallden at Creative Clips to add some extras. :)
I did this one year for back to school. Still one of my favorites!
I found this one on Pinterest one year.
I also did this one year at the beginning of the year. Only I made crayons out of paper as I couldn't find 3-D ones, nor did I want the hassle of figuring out how to hang them.  :)

Again, from pinterest.
I did a take of this one for the beginning of this past year. Since I teach deaf kids, this made perfect sense. Since I teach the same group of kids for multiple years I changed the title to "We love having you back!" with the I love you hands. I was lucky enough to have an awesome interpreter help me with it (I'm looking at you, Michelle!).
Honestly not even sure where this came from. Probably Pinterest.

Since I don't go back to work until August 17th, I haven't figured out what I'm gonna do for the beginning of the year this year. I guess I should start looking around though, huh? And when it's up and pretty I'll be sure to do a follow-up post with more pictures :)

Thanks for stopping by! Can't wait to hop around and see everyone else's boards!


No comments:

Post a Comment