Friday, July 31, 2015

Visual Directions

Everybody knows how the following scene plays out:
Teacher: First you're going to color, then cut, then glue your pages. Everybody know what to do?
Students: Yes, Miss.
Teacher: Ok, get to work then, please.
Students: **blank stares**
Student 1: Miss, what do we do first?
Student 2: Takes out scissors first

...you get the point.

I know how hard it is for general education students (especially in the younger grades) to keep track of what to do in what order. Imagine how much harder it is for students with language delays that barely remember their own names. Now, don't get my wrong, I love my kiddos. But, to be honest, they can't handle 2-3 step directions. This past year everything was done step-by-step together as a large group so that no one was left behind. But this coming year, I feel like they need to learn some independence. So, I've made some visual directions to try and help foster that.

In a monkey theme, of course. Because I seriously have an issue with monkeys. MONKEYS EVERYWHERE!! :)


We all know that this is nothing new. Many teachers have been using this for years. I honestly don't know why I didn't use it before. Actually, that's not true. The truth is they're so delayed in language and communication that they literally couldn't be trusted to complete even the simplest work independently without my going through a thousand copies a month. So I did everything with them. Thankfully I have an Interactive White Board and document camera which made it slightly easier to do this.

This year, I think that most of my class will be able to handle working at their own pace to complete their work.

I went ahead and posted them in my TPT store for only $1.50! Go check it out! If there's a specific theme you're working with I might be able to help you out with a special request-if I have the clip art available. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment